Date:1890 - 1900 (c.)
Description:A view of the Ironmarket taken from Nelson Place. The building seen on the far right hand side was a private house which was demolished in 1930. The Silverdale Equitable Industrial Co-operative Society purchased the site and built an emporium, which still stood in 2002. This illustrates the change over time from when large numbers of people lived in the centre of Newcastle, to the present day when all available space is used either for retail units, pubs or restaurants. The Municipal Hall can be seen further up the Ironmarket. This was built, between 1888 and 1890, to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. During its time the Hall contained a Council Chamber, Library, Dance Hall, and School of Art. The Hall was demolished in 1967 and Newcastle Library now occupied the site until 2019 when it moved to Castle House at Queens Gardens.
The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.
Arlington House, the detached property set back from the road in this photograph, ...
The Rectory was built in 1698 as a house for rectors of St. Giles' Church. The building ...
The building seen on the far right hand side of this photograph was a private house, ...
The Gardens were laid out in 1897 on land that had been bought by public subscription, ...
This statue of Queen Victoria was presented to the town of Newcastle-under-Lyme ...
Share:
Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.
Donor ref:TOW/2 - 32 (22/4520)
Source: Brampton Museum and Art Gallery, Newcastle under Lyme
Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.