Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 36 636 Records Found

Alton Castle

Set on a hill above the village of Alton, the castle was built in the mid-19th century although there has been a fortification on the site since the 12th century. At the time this was taken it was owned ...

Alton Castle

Set on a hill above the village of Alton, the castle was built in the mid-19th century, although there has been a fortification on the site since the 12th century. At the time this was taken it was owned ...

An old timber framed house, Friar Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This photograph depicts the demolition of a house in Friar Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme in 1937. In the Newcastle area timber framed buildings had been superseded by brickwork around the middle of the ...

Apedale Hall, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Apedale Hall was rebuilt in 1826 by the Heathcote family in the Elizabethan style by the industrialist Richard Edensor Heathcote. This is the view of the house 14 years before it was demolished.

Apedale Hall, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Taken from a print entitled 'The Seat of Richard Edensor Heathcote Esquire'. In 1826 Richard Heathcote had Apedale Hall rebuilt in Elizabethan style.

Apedale Hall, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Apedale Hall was the home of the Heathercote family and was built in 1826 by the industrialist Richard Edensor Heathcote on the site of a previous hall. The last Heathcote to live at the hall was Captain ...

Apedale road, Chesterton

This postcard shows the corner of Audley Road and Apedale Road with the Eagle and Child on the corner. Note the very traditional clothes the children are wearing, of pinafores, straw bonnets, and cloth ...

Arlington House, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Arlington House, the detached property set back from the road in this photograph, used to stand on the Ironmarket in Newcastle-under-Lyme. It did not become known as Arlington House until the 1870s when ...

Ashleys Square, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This photograph shows the corner of Ashleys Square, which was off Brook Lane. The top of Holy Trinity church can just be seen over the buildings to the right of the lamp. This photograph demonstrates ...

Audley Old Hall

The view shows the Old Hall on the junction between Wilbraham's Walk and Nantwich Road. This timber built house was built in the fourteenth or fifteenth century and was the seat of the Vernons at some ...

Back view of houses at Dunkirk, Chesterton

This photograph shows the rear view 1 to 4 Dunkirk. They were located on London Road, Chesterton. The dilapidated state of these houses is clear in this photograph.

Bagguleys Book Shop, High Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Bagguley's Book Shop was situated on the High Street in Newcastle-under-Lyme. It also sold stationery and offered a book printing and binding service. The motorcar parked outside the shop would have ...

Ball's Yard, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Located off Hassell Street, this photograph shows the small terraced housing of Ball's Yard that was typical in Newcastle. These houses and many like them were eventually cleared and residents moved into ...

Bank House, High Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This photograph of Bank House on Bridge Street in Newcastle-under-Lyme was taken in 1963 prior to the house being demolished to make way for the Crown Court that now stands on the site. Bank House is ...

Bank House, High Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This photograph shows the site of Old Bank House in Newcastle town centre. The house to the left became the National Provincial Bank in the early twentieth century and later became the National Westminster ...

Bank House, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Photograph of Bank House formerly the home of the Fenton family now demolished.

Baptist Church, London Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This is a view of a tranquill London road, with hardly any traffic, leaving pedestrians to cross the road easily and safely. The building on the right hand side is that of the Baptist Church. This church ...

Baptist Church, London Road/Vessey Terrace, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This iron church was opened in 1871 on what was then a very quiet London Road. Membership gradually rose and in 1914 the foundation stone was laid for a new chapel, which still stood on the corner of ...