Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 36 636 Records Found

Barracks, Barracks Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The Italian styled Militia Barracks were built in 1855 from red brick. The Barracks were the headquarters of the 3rd King's Own Staffordshire Rifle Regiment, which assembled annually at Newcastle for ...

Bath Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A general view of Bath Street in Newcastle-under-Lyme as it used to be in 1930s. These houses were subject to demolition following the Housing Act 1930, and people were evicted from them in 1936.

Beattie Avenue during the arrival of their new residents from Paradise Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

By the late 1930s and the time of this photograph slum clearance had started in Newcastle-under-Lyme. Some of the first people to be re-housed were the residents of Paradise Street who were moved to Beattie ...

Beeston's Vaults, Red Lion Square, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Beeston's Vaults still stood in 2002 when it was known as the Wine Vaults. The building dates to before 1700 and has a timber framed structure. The pub was run by the Beeston family from the 1860s to ...

Bell Ringers Jug, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Bell ringing can be thirsty work and in order to give the ringers the strength to carry on a tradition was established to pay them with ale! This jug is made of earthenware and is quite large, measuring ...

Bell Ringers Jug, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Bellringer jugs are rare. Some have the names of the bellringers inscribed on the side. Bellringer jugs were traditionally used by the churches bell-ringers to quench their thirst. Customarily the ...

Betley Church

An oil painting by Stuart Stevenson, commissioned for the Millennium by Newcastle-under-Lyme Museum and Art Gallery. This atmospheric painting depicts St. Margaret's church at Betley. The church dates ...

Betley, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Betley was once an important market town and was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086.

Biddulph Grange

A view across the lake towards Biddulph Grange. James Bateman spent over twenty years designing the house, a lavish Italianate mansion. It was built in 1868-9, but was largely burnt down in 1896. The ...

Biddulph Grange

A group portrait thought to be taken on the steps of Biddulph Grange. Amateur photographer Frederick Everitt can be seen back right.

Biddulph Old Hall

These are the remains of a mansion constructed in the 1580s for Francis Biddulph. It was a Royalist stronghold during the English Civil war and came under siege by the Parliamentarians in 1643 when the ...

Bignall End, Audley

This postcard shows the view from the foot of Boon Hill, at the junction of Raven's Lane and Bignall Hill. The North Staffordshire Branch railway line, seen here running from the left, has now been removed. ...

Birchenwood Collieries Rescue Team, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Blackfriars Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme

View from Pool Dam of the Higherland Methodist Church by Reginald Haggar with the Orme School to the right.

Blackfriars Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Photograph of Saint Peter's Mission building on Blackfriars Road.

Blockley's, 48 High Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Blockley's grocers and wine merchants was located at number 48 High street for many years and later became Hargreaves.

Boon Hill, Audley

A view of Boon Hill taken by photographer Thomas Warham of Audley. The entrance to the cricket ground is on the site of the white cottage. Boon Hill was a hamlet settled by nailmakers in the eighteenth ...

Borough Police Force, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The Borough Police Force are here seen pictured with the Mayor of Newcastle, William Mellard. They are outside Mellard's home, The Beeches, which stood on Liverpool Road (now the site of a bus depot). ...