Latest Additions To The Site

Page 4 of 56 1000 Records Found

Demolition at Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Building the foundations of a Luhrig washer, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Coal needs washing before use to remove impurities. The Luhrig Washer was invented in 1887. Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The ...

Taking readings at Birchenwood Collliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Birchenwood Collieries Rescue Team, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Presentation to Mr West, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Gas engines, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Sulphate of ammonia storehouse, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

A by-product of coke ovens, sulphate of ammonia is used as a fertiliser. Frequent and prolonged exposure to the it can cause gastrointestinal problems and skin and eye irritation. There is no evidence ...

Still Plant Benzol House, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Benzol Rectification Plant, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

A by-product of coal, benzol was used as a 'motor spirit'. Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, ...

Laboratory at Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

This photograph shows the by-products produced from 5cwt of coal. Most of the coal from Birchenwood was used for coke and other by-products. Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal ...

Building Department, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

This image shows pitheads numbers 4 and 18. It was at 18 that there was an explosion on 18 December 1925 when 7 men were killed and 14 were injured. Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of ...

The Blue Bell, Hardingswood, Kidsgrove

The licensee was John D. Colclough, who we assume is standing at the front with his wife. Dix and Co Ltd were a Shelton Brewery who were later taken over by Parker's of Burslem in 1933.

Motor spirit landing stage, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

The Ash Inn, Mow Cop

The licensee at the time was James M Brereton. Parker's was a Burslem Brewery, which was taken over by Ind Coope in 1949.

The Dolphin Inn, Kidsgrove

The Dolphin was at 43 Heathcote Street. The licensee at this time was Jacob Stanier and it is his wife, Elizabeth, standing in the doorway. The poster in the window is advertising the screening of two ...

Outside the Spread Eagle, Newcastle under Lyme

Dancers and a barrel organ outside The Spread Eagle, Penkhull Street on Hospital Saturday. The Spread Eagle can be traced back to 1832. Its name was changed to The Blackfriar in 1977 due to its proximity ...

The Roebuck, Chesterton

This pub was an Allsops of Burton house until it merged with Ind Coope Ltd in 1934. The pub is still the Roebuck today. (2020)