Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 5 74 Records Found

A "Staffordshire Sentinel" : St. Margaret's, Wolstanton

A watercolour by Harry Barnard with fields in the foreground, church and houses in the distance.

Aerial View of Clayton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A very different landscape to that of the present. Note the fork in the road to the right of the image - that is the junction between Northwood Lane and Clayton Road, the site of a roundabout today connecting ...

Apedale, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Apedale looking towards the Wedgwood monument, prior to it being damaged in a storm. The Wedgwood Monument was erected in 1850 and was a memorial to John Wedgwood (1760-1839) who had been a local colliery ...

Basford Scouts, camping in Hanchurch Woods

Robert Baden-Powell set up the scouting movement in 1908 after a successful camp teaching boys important skills, and releasing a book called ‘Scouting for Boys’. By the end of 1908, there were 60,000 ...

Bath Pool, Kidsgrove

Oil painting by John Munday, looking south towards the island, with Harecastle Hill on the right.

Beech Caves

Beech caves are man-made caves close to the hamlet of Beech where sandstone was quarried for local use. The 1879 Ordnance Survey map shows the area as an 'Old Quarry', as by then it no longer used. In ...

Bignall End, Audley

This postcard shows the view from the foot of Boon Hill, at the junction of Raven's Lane and Bignall Hill. The North Staffordshire Branch railway line, seen here running from the left, has now been removed. ...

Boon Hill, Audley

The bottom of Boon Hill Road at its junction with Bignall End Road. Audley Station can just be seen on the right and the chimneys of Diglake Colliery are seen through the trees.

Burgess Lands Map, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Plan of the Borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme with the whole of the lands held in trust by the Burgesses, surveyed by Robert Malabar. Alterations to Church Districts are drawn on map by hand in red and ...

Burgess Lands Map, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This map shows the lands held in trust by the Burgesses of Newcastle-under-Lyme and was made by Richard Malabar. Over 800 years ago the King granted the town a Royal Charter, and it became a Borough. ...

Burgess Lands Map, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This map shows the lands held in trust by the Burgesses of Newcastle-under-Lyme and was made by Richard Malabar. Over 800 years ago the King granted the town a Royal Charter, and it became a Borough. ...

Butterton

Watercolour by Doris Brown of Butterton, a beautiful hamlet just outside Newcastle-under-Lyme.

Butterton village

A general view of Butterton village with local children pictured in the street. Butterton village has its origins in Saxon times when clearings were made in the Lyme Forest to create settlements. The ...

Calmer times on Clayton Road, Clayton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Clayton Road, in the days when it was little more than a dirt track. In the centre of the image is Rose Cottage, the home of the local police constable, with Clayton Green to the right of the image.

Canal Plan for the County of Stafford

This map shows the plans of navigation for a canal near Longbridge near Burslem and to go to Newcastle-under-Lyme, Lichfield, Tamworth and to Wilden in Derbyshire. It was made by James Brindley and revised ...

Chapel Street, Audley, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This postcard shows the Main Road in Bignall End, at the junction of New Road (to the left) and Chapel Street, leading to Old Road.

Chesterton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A postcard entitled 'Chesterton' of a man and woman standing by a sign post.

Church Street, Audley

The church visible at the end of the street is that of St. James. The church was largely built in the 14th century though it was restored by Scott in the mid 19th century. It contains many monuments including ...